Rules and Regulations
(Library 1st & 2nd floor/Media Operations 3rd floor)
- Always be prepared to present your Identification Card upon request.
- All borrowers must present their ID cards when checking out books and other materials (magazines/periodicals, newspapers, reserve items and other reference resources from Ready Reference behind the Reference Desk). Borrowing privileges are not transferable.
- Patrons throughout the building must keep the noise level down to a minimum to allow others to concentrate on studying and research. Excessive loudness will not be tolerated. Security guards will escort unruly patrons from the Learning Resources Center (LRC).
- Group study and seminar rooms are available for group study and discussion on the second floor. You must sign for them at the desk on that floor.
- Academic Computing Laboratory
- The Academic Computing Laboratory on the third floor is for class assignments and research, not for chatting or playing games. Students will be asked to leave if they do not comply. You must sign in for computer use. You must have a floppy disk with you.
- Printing is limited to 7 pages only in the Computing Lab (to two pages on the first and second floors). Ask the LRC staff for help in downloading articles onto a floppy disk or copying and pasting long articles into a word processing program to minimize them.
- Portable cassette players, CD players, radios and television sets are not allowed in the library. They are provided for course work only in the Media Services Department. Mobile telephones and pagers must be turned off while in the LRC.
- Patrons will not be paged in the LRC when classes or meetings are going on. Access to the telephone is restricted to emergence use only. (A public telephone is available on the outside near the LRC for personal calls).
- All reference books, magazines, journals, newspapers and reserve materials are to remain on the first floor of the LRC. The word "Reference" or the abbreviation "Ref." added to the call number identifies a reference book. Reserve materials (located behind the Circulation Desk) may be withdrawn one-half hour before closing to be returned the following day as soon as the LRC opens.
- LRC materials, unless otherwise stated, circulate for two weeks and are due on or before the last date stamped on the date due card. Books should be returned to the Circulation Desk. There is a limit of 20 books that can be checked out of the LRC. Books may be renewed in person if they have not been requested by other patrons. All materials are subject to recall immediately if needed for reserve.
- Prompt payment of all fines is extremely important. Failure to do so may prevent a user from
- checking out additional materials in the future or
- taking final examinations.
- LRC clearance slips will be issued at the end of each semester and at the end of Summer School after all debts have been cleared. (No exceptions)
- Persons desiring to check out books should present them to the appropriate Circulation Desk no later than fifteen minutes before the closing of the LRC.
- The Coleman Collection Room (formerly the Reading Lounge) will not be used for meetings.
- Food and beverages are not allowed in the LRC, and smoking is strictly prohibited.
- Unauthorized removal or concealment of material or equipment from the LRC is a serious offense (See the Library Security Law: Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976, as amended. Section 16-13-331 posted in the lobby near the Circulation). Mutilation of LRC books, magazines, journals, newspapers, curriculum and other materials is also a violation of the rules. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action by the College.
- Caps/hats, head-wraps, or do-rags worn by male patrons should be removed upon entering the LRC and should remain off while in the LRC.
- Backpacks, briefcases and other pouches must be presented for inspection upon leaving the LRC.
- All announcements to be posted in the LRC should be brought to the attention of the LRC's secretary who will be responsible for posting them.
- The front entrance of the LRC is to be used at all times. Back and side exits are to be used for emergencies only (fire, fire drills, etc.)
- Misdemeanor Forms will be administered to persons:
- failing to adhere to the rules and regulations of the LRC; and
- who disrespect the LRC staff.
All violations will be forwarded to the Office of Student Affairs.